Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pacquiao Not Giving Up On Mayweather Fight


source: Nick Giongco | The Manila Bulletin

Manila, Philippines - While Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao is contemplating to finally hang his gloves, the boxing icon somehow remains uneasy when the subject of retirement was raised at the sidelines of a sports event Sunday night.

“Can we not talk about it for the meantime?” Pacquiao said late Sun
day night when the Manila Bulletin fielded that question at the 12th Elorde Boxing Awards and Banquet of Champions at a hotel in Makati City.

But when he realized that the question was not entirely about his impending retirement – but regarding Floyd Mayweather Jr. – Pacquiao’s face lightened up and went on to speak even if the sentence was still halfway from completion.

Despite a series of failures to make the fight happen, Pacquiao is nursing hopes that Mayweather will realize he is reasonable in his stand of getting a 50-50 share in the pay-per-view income.

Yesterday morning, Pacquiao issued a statement on television, saying he is open to getting a smaller share of the purse as long as he and Mayweather equally share the payper-view revenue, knowing all too well that their fight would break all records.

Still, Pacquiao said he won’t regret not having fought Mayweather because he had done his part in making the “dream fight” become a reality, and that his legacy as an alltime great is safe and secured.

“I am satisfied with my accomplishments in boxing,” said Pacquiao, who returns to the ring against unbeaten American challenger Tim Bradley on June 9 in Las Vegas.


“It is clear that he doesn’t want the fight, and I can’t do anything about it. This fight is going to be great only if it happens,” Pacquiao, the congressman of the Lone District of Sarangani, said.

The last time negotiations were held, Mayweather, who has opted to face Miguel Cotto on May 5, made it clear that Pacquiao and everyone else fighting him will have to settle for crumbs because he claims that he, and not his opponent, is the star attraction.

Pacquiao, 33, is on the twilight of a stellar 18-year career and after Bradley, he plans to fight two or three more times before announcing his retirement, and a spot in the Hall of Fame guaranteed.

As this developed, Pacquiao assailed the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) for filing a case against him that affected his international product endorsements worth millions of dollars.

Pacquiao said his clean name was maligned by BIR officials who gave the impression he is a tax evader even though he received recognition from the same agency that he is a role model and cited as one of the prompt top individual taxpayers in the country.

He said he lost at least four major sponsors in the United States that already signified their intention to make him the endorser of their products. The US companies decided to pull out as result of the BIR’s move picturing him as tax evader.

The BIR earlier this month charged Pacquiao with failure to obey summons for allegedly not submitting documents such as tax records and contract endorsements the agency asked him to produce.

Pacquiao learned from his lawyers that the BIR sent him Letter of Authority and subpoena duces tecum while he was training in the US for his fight against Juan Miguel Marquez.

Dean Abraham Espejo of New Era University College of Law, who joined Pacquiao in the press conference, said a certain Jocelyn Nobria received the documents in behalf of the lawmaker but it turned out that the name is fictitious.

Former Justice Secretary Artemio Tuquero, one of the lawyers helping the solon, said “this is obviously harassment. Imagine asking taxpayer to submit documents that could be self-incriminatory? (With a report from Anna Liza Villas)