source: Abac Cordero | The Philippine Star
MANILA, Philippines - Floyd Mayweather Jr. was offered much more than what he had offered Manny Pacquiao, and yet the undefeated American refused to make the fight happen.
Pacquiao’s adviser, Mike Koncz, yesterday said he’s been in constant communication with Mayweather in hopes of making the fight that the whole planet wants to see.
But the fight has been shelved, and yesterday Mayweather announced that he’s taking on Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
An Associated Press (AP) report said Mayweather will fight Cotto after Nevada’s athletic commissioners granted him a conditional license for one fight before he goes to jail in June.
Koncz told ESPN.com that he, with the knowledge of both Pacquiao and Top Rank chief Bob Arum, offered Mayweather $50 million for the fight.
On top of that, Koncz said he also told Mayweather of a 55-45 split of the revenues, and that the winner gets the bigger share. But these were not enough to move the American superstar.
A couple of weeks ago, Pacquiao and Mayweather spoke on the phone, and later on it was revealed that Pacquiao asked Mayweather if they could do it at 50-50.
But Mayweather was quick to turn it down, and in return offered Pacquiao a guaranteed purse of $40 million but that the Filipino champ will get nothing from the pay-per-view sales.
Some branded Mayweather as greedy for making Pacquiao such an offer, and most people thought that at 50-50 split is just in the right direction.
“I’ve been talking to Floyd directly and I made a commitment to keep it out of the media, but with him saying all the things that he’s been saying – that Manny ducked the fight, that Manny is only a $10 million fighter. I am compelled to talk to the media and say what really happened,” Koncz, still in the US, told ESPN.com.
Koncz said as part of the offer, both Pacquiao and Mayweather would be guaranteed $50 million each, and that Pacquiao no longer has any problems with the drug-testing procedure.
“Manny agreed to everything, whenever anyone wanted, except on the day of the fight. Floyd said, ‘Ok, that’s great.’ My discussions with Floyd were cordial, professional and during our discussions we both treated each other with the utmost respect.”
Koncz said that while Arum was looking at the last week of May or June 9 as the date of the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight, they never really ruled out May 5, if that’s what Mayweather would want.
Pacquiao will soon make his announcement as well regarding his June 9 fight, either at the Thomas and Mack Center, also in Las Vegas, or at the MGM.
Leading the pack of potential opponents for Pacquiao is the undefeated Tim Bradley. It seems that the two others, Juan Manuel Marquez and Lamont Peterson, are bound to fight themselves.
With Pacquiao out of his way, at least for May or June, Mayweather can now say whatever he wants.
“I’m fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me,” he said.