source: Bev Llorente | ABS-CBN North America News Bureau
LAS VEGAS, Nevada -- It was an hour of hearing and deliberation during the application of Floyd Mayweather Jr. to box in Nevada.
Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) officials grilled Mayweather, as his boxing license expired December 31 last year.
“I called him forward. Normally we wouldn’t call him forward but I called him forward because of the December 21 and January 6 matters in criminal court, because we needed explanation on this subject,” said NSAC commissioner Raymond "Skip" Avansino.
Five commissioners collectively decided to grant Mayweather a one-time-only license to step back in the ring.
However, Mayweather needs to comply with the conditions provided by the NSAC.
One of those conditions: Mayweather will not avoid or delay his set jail time on June 1 following the district judge’s order on the guilty plea charges of domestic battery charges.
“By having your commitment to the commission that you will serve your time starting on June 1st without any question, you’re not gonna enjoy it and I wouldn’t either and have the tendency to fight it but it will be a mistake from the perspective of the commission if you did that,” Avansino told Mayweather.
Mayweather will face Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto instead of Sarangani Congressman Manny Pacquiao.
“Without Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather is still gonna make $60-70 million in 30 minutes,” said Mayweather.
The most awaited fight of the century seems to be unfeasible, as both camps are not agreeing to the fight purse.
Mayweather admitted that he met with Pacquiao's camp through Michael Koncz.
“Tell him watch me and Miguel Cotto. I'm happy that I am my own promoter you know. I am my own promoter; there’s a lot of money that go around,” he said.
Mayweather is contented with the outcome of the hearing and believes that the commission’s decision was fair.
Now that the he has been granted a license to fight here in Las Vegas, he can now set-forth in gearing up to go against Cotto on May 5.